CALL FOR NEW PLAYS FOR 2014 SPRING PLAYWRIGHTS’ FESTIVAL
‘The Curious Sofa’ inspired by the work of Cape Cod’s Edward Gorey.
The Provincetown Theater is seeking the following:
A. Short Plays – running time 10-15 minutes.
B. One Act Plays – running time no longer than 30 minutes.
C. Festival Dates: April 10th-13th, 2014
Specific schedule will be announced after the play selection process is completed.
Festival Rules and Restrictions
- This festival is open to playwrights who live in New England or have a history with theater in Provincetown.
- If selected, playwrights are also expected to be present for at least one post-performance talk-back.
- Plays should have no more than 5 characters and have minimal light and sound cues.
- Plays will be staged in a black box setting with minimal technical assistance. The Festival set will include one Victorian couch (see pic above). Plays may not add any other set pieces. Props which can be hand carried by the actors may be used. However furniture, chairs and tables for instance, are not props. The stage will be dressed with black curtain background and legs.
- Playwrights may submit only ONE play. (Do not send one play in each category.)
- Only plays that have NOT been previously produced are eligible. Plays that have only been given previous readings WILL be eligible.
- All digital submissions must be in either searchable .PDF or .DOC format. No .DOCX. Please snail mail 2 hard copies. The name of the playwright must not appear on the script. The Title must appear on the script. Please include as a separate file one cover sheet with the title of the play, playwright’s name, playwright’s contact information (phone, email, address) and a one sentence synopsis of the play for both digital and hard copies. All electronic submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Spring Festival in the subject line. Hard copies must be sent to The Provincetown Theater, 238 Bradford Street, Provincetown, MA 02657.
- Submissions are due by January 20, 2014. Submissions will be read by anonymous readers and the final selection of plays will be announced on or about March 1, 2013. Please email to email@example.com.
- Playwright’s are expected to sign a simple contract with theater. We expect the playwright to be heavily involved in the rehearsal and production of your script.
*Doesn’t have to be limited to the Victorian era.
*For submissions, we accept your word that this piece has never been produced, however selected plays will receive an extensive search in all theaters throughout the country.
* Please notify us if you are submitting this piece to another theater and if it is accepted, as we cannot produce a piece that is being produced elsewhere.
Thank You and Good Luck!